Thursday, October 13, 2011

Oysters and Angels: San Francisco, California

Me in front of Coit Tower
Last week I visited San Francisco, California and had the pleasure of seeing The Blue Angels (the U.S. Navy’s flight demonstration squad) fly by Coit Tower. They are currently the oldest flying aerobatic team. Watching them fly was sublime! They flew all across the Bay (From Marin to San Francisco). They even flew under the Golden Gate Bridge!!

Can you see the Blue Angels flying behind me?
The planes go so fast they break the sound barrier--which is incredible to hear. This means I actually saw the planes before I heard the planes. I hope someday I can fly so fast I break the sound barrier and then you could see me before you hear me quack. That would be awe-inspiring.  Don't you think that would be the darnedest thing?


After seeing the Blue Angels I decided to swing by Tomales Bay. It is a coastal estuary about 40 miles from San Francisco. While there, my friend and I bought Hog Island Oysters.

We shucked oysters and ate some fresh right off the shell. We also debearded and scrubbed down some clams and boiled them in a red wine sauce. I learned that you can tell the clams are ready when they open up. They tasted divine! I ate so many I was still full by dinner. I’ve never tasted such good food!!  It was a great day.

Mmmm . . . Oysters!

Quack Report:

While I was at Coit Tower my quack echo didn’t work out as well as I wanted it to. The Blue Angels kept interrupting my echo. But I’ve been doing a lot of flying lately and my wing muscles are getting pretty buff, so watch out Blue Angels, I’m gonna give you a run for your money!

When I visited Tomales Bay I forgot to test my quack echo before I ate and afterwards I was so full I could barely squeak! It was well worth it though. Like I said before, those oysters and clams were very tasty!

1 comment:

  1. Had such a wonderful time with you in San Francisco, Simon. See you in LA this weekend?

    ReplyDelete