Saturday, December 17, 2011

Back to Baltimore, Maryland

I'm back in Baltimore! I liked The Science Center so much I decided to go back and take a look at some of the other things Baltimore has to offer. 


First, I stopped by the strange old tower on the east side of town. My friend NG and her family like to call it "The Shot Tower" though it was originally called "The Phoenix Shot Tower."

In the early 1800's people would make buckshot for rifles in towers like these. Then workers would drop melted lead from the top of the tower through a sieve and it would fall all the way down into a pool of cold water. As the bits of lead fell, gravity would cause them to become round and once the bits hit the cold water at the bottom, they would harden into that perfectly round shape. Isn't that a pretty cool process??


In 1828, this tower was the tallest building in the United States and remained that way for 18 years.  Now, there are a lot of taller buildings in the US, but not many of them are 183 years old! It is one of only a few remaining shot towers in the country. I really wanted to climb to the top to see what it felt like, but they don't allow ducks to go up there anymore. I was really disappointed. Maybe next time.

Have you ever seen the TV show "Ace of Cakes?" Well guess what!! Duff, Mary Alice, Geoff and all the guys at Charm City Cakes live and work in a neighborhood in Baltimore, called Hampden. The place where my friends were having lunch happened to be right next to where they work!!! While NG and her family were at lunch I ran across the street and said hello. My friends ate burgers while I got to help myself to a whole Ace of Cake's cake!!  It was soooo delicious.


Baltimore has a lot of nicknames. One of them is "Charm City." Duff named his bakery after that nickname for Baltimore! He has been in Baltimore for years making TRULY scrumptious cakes. Not only do they taste good, the also look amazing.

NG said that The Paper Moon Diner is one of their favorite restaurants in the world. It's also in Baltimore so I  wanted to check it out. It was really busy so we found another place to eat that day, but I did stop to pose for a couple of photos. They were great!!



The Paper Moon is something you have to experience to believe. I was told the food is really good.  NG also said it's hard to describe just how much there is to look at in that awesome place unless you've been there. I would really like to visit The Paper Moon Diner someday. If you ever visit Baltimore you should, too.


Quack Report:

I tested my quack while eating cake with Duff and the gang. Duff was really impressed with my quack. The echo was AMAZING!!! My best one yet.

1 comment:

  1. Woo hoo! Yeah! Ace of Cakes RULES!! They make the best cakes EVER!! (Not counting Will's mom)

    ReplyDelete