Sunday, December 11, 2011

Broadway--New York

Holy quackers!  Have you ever been to Broadway?  Well, I have . . . . It. Was. Awesome.

I had a great seat!
Here I am with my friend in the audience of the Shubert Theatre. It was huge!! The Shubert theatre was built in 1913.  The ornate decorations have been preserved for audiences attending shows today--that's almost 100 years!  

I went with some friends to see the show Memphis. It was soooo cool!! It is a musical that is set in the 1950's in Memphis, Tennessee. I really enjoyed it.

During the 1950's black and white people were kept separate. That was called segregation. It was interesting how in the musical the lead character is a white man who wants to show the world that everyone is equal and that black people sing great music! I tried singing once, but it ended up in a total disaster!! You don't want to know what happened after that. In the end the white man ends up becoming a radio DJ and spreads rock 'n' roll music to the world!  It is a really fun show with great music.  The friend I was with even knew some of the performers in the play!! I had a really wonderful time!

One of the most famous long-running shows on Broadway was performed at the Shubert Theatre from 1975-1990 for 6,137 performances--can you imagine that? It was called A Chorus Line. Other famous shows like Chicago, The Producers, Gypsy, and Spamalot also played there.

Wow!  Being on stage was AMAZING! Even if I did miss my mark.
The Shubert Theatre is right next to Shubert Alley.  That is an open space right in the heart of the city in Times Square. They have a lot of outdoor performances there.

This is me on the stage of the Shubert theatre looking out into about 1600 seats!! I would like to give a special thanks to my friend James--for helping me up on the stage. It took a lot of effort to jump up all those steps!! I would also like to thank him for giving me permission, and taking the picture of me.


Quack report:

While on stage, I decided to test out my quack echo. My quack turned out really well because the acoustics in the theater were fantastic. But there was no echo because it is a theater and doesn't have parallel walls.  Echos aren't something you want to hear when you're enjoying a musical so they build it that way on purpose.

1 comment:

  1. Simon, I have a song for you:

    Oh Simon, you yellow piece of plastic shaped like a duck,
    You fly all around the world,
    But alas,
    You don't come to CAS
    And that make us sad indeed.

    That was from my hit broadway show: Simon Comes To CAS

    ReplyDelete