Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Amsterdam is very picturesque!
This past weekend I decided to visit some of my friends in Amsterdam. Amsterdam is the largest city in the Netherlands. It is also the capitol of the Netherlands. Pretty Amazing, huh?

Duck on a Bike
Amsterdam is a great place to live.  My friends say that Amsterdam has everything except parking spots.  That was not a problem for us though, because we walked and rode our bikes everywhere.  Whew!  I sure got a lot of exercise!

We saw bikes everywhere! Amsterdam is considered the bicycling capitol of Europe.  It is estimated that there are about 700,000 bikes in Amsterdam.

Amsterdam is a very cultural city.  Did you know that the Dutch painter Rembrandt had a house in Amsterdam between 1639 and 1660? We swung by to check it out.

Rembrandt was a Dutch painter and etcher.  I think he was one of the greatest artists in history. He painted and etched during a time called the Dutch Golden Age because there were so many amazing  Dutch artists at that time.

Amsterdam has great food too! For lunch we had a hard decision, there was Cafe De Sluyswacht, and Cafe in De Waag. We finally decided on Cafe De Sluyswacht. It was all very tasty. They even had these little things called a poffertjes. Poffertjes are like mini pancakes, with powdered sugar on top. It was oh, so good! Yum!!

Cafe In De Waag and Cafe Sluyswacht

Quack report: 

While riding the bike, I decided to test out my quack. I wanted this to be a good one, so I put a lot of air into my lungs, and tried really hard. Unfortunately, I may have tried a little too hard, because I ended up falling off of the bike, and into the canal. My quack was squelched by the water. Needless to say, there was no echo.That's okay though, I had a fun swim.

2 comments:

  1. Amsterdam is one of my favorite cities in Europe. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon, wow. I love Holland. Did you try a Stroompwafel? They're yummy.

    ReplyDelete