Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Alghero, Italy

Wow! Italy is very Picturesque!

Boy am I a lucky duck!! It's not every day you get to go to Olbia. Olbia is a town in northeastern Sardinia--Sardinia is a little island off the coast of Italy. My friend Giuseppe and I went there for a visit. I was planning on flying over, but decided to take the boat with my friend. While waiting to leave the Port of Livorno Toscany, my friend and I decided to take a look around. The trip to Olbia, Sardinia takes eight hours so we had plenty of time to explore.

What? He's creepy!
While looking around the boat, Giuseppe and I found Wile E. Coyote. I thought he was pretty scary looking. What if he was hungry for duck at the moment?? I didn't want to go near the thing, but Giuseppe insisted I pose for a picture. He says Wile E. is a very popular cartoon character in a TV show. That didn't change my mind though!! Right after I saw the camera flash, and heard it snap, I got off that thing as fast as my wings could carry me!! Though I do have to admit, it did make a pretty good picture.



Bugs bunny, Tweety bird, Giuseppe and me.

After visiting Wile E. Coyote Giuseppe   decided we should go visit Bugs Bunny. I agreed. I like Bugs Bunny quite a lot. I think he might even be my favorite! He was really funny and he kept telling us jokes and we couldn't stop laughing. We must have chatted for at least an hour.

Tweety Bird didn't disappoint me either! She even let me practice flying take-offs from her beak!! How awesome is that?? Pretty awesome, right? I would start on her beak and then I would stretch way up into the air, jump, and take off! I got really good at take-offs after I was able to practice a while.

At the Piano Bar
After visiting with some friends Giuseppe and I decided to spend and hour or so at the "Piano Bar" before bed. We had a lot of fun drinking cokes and playing the piano. Giuseppe even taught me how to play "Mary Had a Little Lamb." We played a duet together. He whistled, while I flew from key to key. After all the fun, we were finally able to flop down on a bed and sleep.

When we woke in the morning Giuseppe and I discovered that we had arrived safely in Sardinia!! We weren't in Olbia yet, instead we were in a little town called Codrongianus. Giuseppe and I decided to take a look around before heading over to Olbia, because there we could admire a church in the Pisan Romanesque style!! The Basilica of Saccargia.


We still hadn't reached Olbia yet, but here we are in Alghero. Alghero lies in the province of Sassari in northwestern Sardinia, next to the sea. Because of it's strategic position in the Mediterranean Sea, Alghero was built around a fortified port. It was founded around 1102, by the Genoese Doria family.

We have reached Alghero!!!
Wow! That's HUGE!!!!

Giuseppe and I knew it would make a cool picture, so we decided to sneak a peek at the catapult. I thought it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I wonder what it would be like to be in one of those and get shot into the ocean. It might be like a diving board or something!! I hope I can afford to buy one of those someday so I can try it out.

If you stand on the walls of Alghero you can see "The sleeping Giant." I didn't notice him at first, but if you look closely you start to notice his head in front, and behind him you can see his shoulders and his bumpy back. I thought he was even scarier looking than Wile E. Coyote! I think I might be having nightmares in my sleep tonight.

Doesn't he look like a "Sleeping Giant?"


Here Giuseppe and I could see part of the old walls of Alghero. From the area northwest of Alghero Bay you can see the rock, Porto Conte, and the relatives, Punta Giglio and Capo Caccia, a limestone promontory. They offer several fields of study and activities from geology and biology to sports and adventures: activities like trekking and climbing, caving, scuba diving, and even cave diving! There are more than 300 discovered caves above and under water and even semi-submerged!! Neptune's Grotto is the most famous and the most visited thanks to the accessibility and connection by ferries and steps from land.

Neptune's Grotto

Giuseppe and I decided we might as well see the city wall from a different angle and splash in the sea. I liked the look of the walls because they were ancient, and rough. They looked pretty rocky to me. My favorite part about the walls, though was the little turret behind me. I think it would make the coolest fort. I could make a little hideout in there--and even stay the night!! I could work on my maps and plan where to go next and decide which friends to see and when. I could even turn it into a little watch tower, and warn the people when intruders were on their way!! I hope someday I'm able to get myself one of those.

Don't you agree that would make the coolest fort??!

Have you ever heard the song "Yellow Submarine" by the Beatles?
 In the town where I was born, Lived a man who sailed to sea, And he told us of his life,
In the land of submarines, So we sailed on to the sun, Till we found the sea green,
And we lived beneath the waves, In our yellow submarine, We all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine.... 
Have you ever heard that song? If you haven't I suggest you do. It's a classic.
  
"We all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow...."

After all the fun Giuseppe and I had on the way, we made it to Olbia, Sardinia! I had a wonderful time in Italy. I am sooo glad I went!

Giuseppe and I returned to Pisa, Italy and Giuseppe went to "Antony and Roca" for a new hairstyle. While he was at it, I decided to get a hair cut also. It fits me quite nicely.

Pretty nice haircut, am I right?

Quack Report:

My quack was good, but not as good as I'd hoped. The echo wasn't the best either--that's okay though. I'll always be able to try again a different time. 

Wow!! I can see a lot with these!
Splash! Splosh! Splish!

3 comments:

  1. Simon, the lyrics of "yellow submarine" are:

    We all live in a yellow submarine
    I hate the stupid thing
    I wanna paint it green

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophia...
    That is a perversion of the true song by the Beatles, possibly started by YOU, YOU BIBLIOKLEPT! GO DIE IN A CWM!
    Yours truly,
    Redstone Geek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Johnathan, I believe it was by a sixth grader from when we were in fourth grade. Allen, wasn't it Christina?

    ReplyDelete