Thursday, November 17, 2011

Frankfurt, Germany

Frankfurt, Germany
 Last time I visited Germany, I had a very fun time, and learned a lot. And so I was especially excited to embark on another spectacular adventure with my friend Nicole in Frankfurt.

Germany is made up of 16 different states and Frankfurt is the largest city in the German state of Hesse.  It is also the fifth largest city in Germany. Being such a large city there are a lot of places for me to explore.

Ding Ding! Here comes the Apple Wine Express!
Nicole and I decided to take a ride on the Apple Wine Express.  The Apple Wine Express is a way for tourists to see the main sightseeing attractions in Frankfurt.  It takes about an hour but its worth it! They give you yummy pretzels and you can choose to have a glass of apple wine or apple juice.  Because I knew I would be flying later, I chose the apple juice.  It was fantastic.

Wow this bridge is really high.






After that we decided to visit the "Eiserner Steg" or The Iron Footbridge. The Iron Footbridge was built during 1868 and 1869 as a way to get across The Main--the river in Frankfurt. I asked Nicole if people ever ride their bikes across the bridge but she said that it is usually crowded so everyone walks across it.  I could have flown across a lot faster but it is a footbridge so I walked across it like everybody else. While I was walking across it, I saw some amazing skyscrapers. No other city in Germany has skyscrapers like Frankfurt so some people call Frankfurt "Main Hattan."

Frankfurt is full of privately owned little restaurants with all different types of food.  They don't have many chains--though they do have some like McDonald's and Pizza Hut.

The restaurant that Nicole and I decided to stop by for some dinner was a small, local, cozy cafe.We had Hot Applewine and some Applecake. All of it was yummy, and warm.

The sign for the restaurant we went to said: Hot Applewine (that is a specialty from Hessen which is a bit like cider),  Hot Glühwein (a hot spiced wine) and Cheese and Apple-cake. It was one of my favorite restaurants to go to.

Quack Report:

I tested my quack while we were at the Main.  The echo bounced off the water a few times.  It was great!

2 comments:

  1. What a treat, Simon. I'm glad you got to Frankfurt before it got too cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm.... Simon haven't you already been to Frankfurt? And you haven't visited CAS yet? What a shame.

    ReplyDelete